The Laws Guide to Nature Drawing and Journaling Study Group
All welcome to join a study group that will work through the John Muir Laws Nature Journaling Text over the next six months. Group will follow the course together and meet once a month to review and share their journaling experiences. Register for study group to receive zoom information and then follow links for supplies as needed.
PLEASE NOTE: Preregister for class FIRST.
We will then send an email with a discount code for savings on certain class materials and you may review and order any materials you might need for study group.
Meeting Times: First Sunday of the Month at 1-3 pm, unless otherwise noted.
October 2nd, 1pm
November 6th, 1pm
No meeting in December
January 8th, 1pm
February 5th, 1pm
March 5th, 1pm
April 2nd, 1pm
April 30th, 1pm
Participants will need the required text, journals, a tool kit (Haystack or Heney Ridge) or supplies from list gathered from your collection, watercolor paints, brushes, a colored pencil set and assemble a curiosity kit.
Those who have many of the supplies on hand from previous courses may review kits below as a checklst of suggested items.
Ideally one should have a white blank medium sized journal and a toned paper journal
- John Muir Laws Blank Journal includes white, and toned papers ( Dotty is using this and it is working very well.
- Blank White or Ivory Journal
- Blank Toned (Tanned and/or Grey) Journal
TOOL KITS (follow link to purchase) (Items in the kits are also available to purchase individually)
There are two kits available: The Haystack Tool Kit & the Heney Ridge Tool Kit.
The tool kits contain the Laws Sketch Book. You may find you might need another book at some point, but this will provide a good starting journal.
The Haystack Tool Kit includes the text, journal & basic tools
The Heney Ridge Tool Kit includes everything in the Haystack Kit plus additional items and a large Art ToolKit Organizer.
Haystack Tool Kit. $175 value SPECIAL $160 plus free freight
- #2 pencil and Blackwing Pencil
- Gum Eraser
- Non-photo Blue Pencil
- Fine Line Marker MICRON or STAETLER (003, 005, or 01)
- White Colored Pencil, Caran Dache Pablo
- Hand Lens
- Derwent Water-Soluble Graphite Pencil (or Faber Castell Aquarelle Pencil)
- Dark Brown Colored Pencil
- Mechanical Pencils .5mm, .7mm 2mm,and leads to match
- Mono Mini Round Eraser with refill pack
- Blending Tool - Stump
- Ball Point Pen
- White Gel Pen
- Water-Soluble Black Fine Point Marker
- Tombow Double Point Black Brush Marker
- Small Water Brush
- Tube of Permanent White Gouache
- John Muir Laws Text
- John Muir Laws Blank Journal
- Net Loft Large Vinyl Zip
- grey felt pencil pouch
Heney Ridge Tool Kit , $254 value SPECIAL $235 plus free freight
All Items Listed Above in the Haystack Tool Kit, plus:
- Kneaded Eraser
- Colored Pencil Colorless Blending Tool Set
- Kum Automatic Long Point Pencil Sharpener
- Small Sharpener for 2 mm Lead Pencil
- Large Water Brush
- Medium Water Brush
- Large Art Tool Kit Zipper Pouch
Highly recommended, but not included in kits
Fine or Ultra-fine Platinum Fountain Pen, choose color and style
Colored Pencil Sets (Regular and/or Watercolor)
Watercolor Paint Sets, choose one:
- Van Gogh set of 12 pans
- Winsor Newton Cotman
- Art Tool Kit Pocket Palette with a set of tubes for filling with suggested color palette. You may select from our Daniel Smith Paint Selection.
- Empty Van Gogh boxes and filling them with your own color palette.
- Beam Paint Set of Natural Pigments (in shop, may be requested)
A double primary is recommended. Many choices here. For guidance contact Dotty at The Net Loft. One plan would be to follow John Muir Laws 12 color pick for this study.
Here are some color suggestions for paint if you are interested in creating your own palette. *John Muir Laws 12 color pick
*Dioxazine Violet/Windsor Violet
Other favorites from other sources
Cerulean Blue, or Cerulean Blue Chromium
Quinacridone Burnt Scarlet
Assemble a Curiosity Kit, as suggested in the text:
- Small Pocketknife
- Small Ruler
- Tape Measure
- Glue Stick
- Dotty’s Pick - Small Collection Jars
Other items needed
- Water Cups/Jars (preferably 2)
- Cotton Cloth or Sock